Select manuscript from this collection: Lyon, BM, 788, f. 41-48.59-66 + Paris, BNF, Baluze 270, f. 105-106.112-113  Lyon, BM, 788, f. 41-48.59-66 + Paris, BNF, Baluze 270, f. 105-106.112-113   Lyon, BM, 788, f. 87-88 + Paris, BNF, Baluze 270, f. 107-108.132-158  2/9

Gottschalk Antiphonal ‚Äď Reconstructed Quire/Book

Parchment · 27 leaves · 1180 ‚Äď 1200 CE · Lambach Stiftsbibliothek · 320 X 243 mm
F-75ud
Multiple, Dispersed Virtual Reconstructions,
Image Rights:
How to quote:
Scholarly descriptions:
  • Davis, Lisa Fagin. The Gottschalk Antiphonary : Music and Liturgy in Twelfth-Century Lambach (Cambridge (UK): Cambridge Univ. Press, 2000)
    Show description
F-75ud is a reconstruction of: Participating Libraries:
Multiple, Dispersed Virtual Reconstructions · New Haven, CT, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library · St. Paul in K√§rnten, Stiftsbibliothek St. Paul im Lavanttal · Unknown, Current Location Unknown · Cambridge, MA, Harvard University, Houghton Library · St. Louis, MO, St. Louis Public Library
Transcriptions:
  • not available
  
Social Tags
Century:
Text Language:
Liturgica:
Persons:
Places:
Summary:
The Gottschalk Antiphonal was written at and for the use of the Lambach abbey (Upper Austria) in the last decades of the twelfth century. The manuscript was written and decorated by the prolific monk Gottschalk of Lambach (see Davis, The Gottschalk Antiphonary). In the fifteenth century, leaves of the manuscript were used as flyleaves and pastedowns in books bound at the Lambach bindery. Most of the fragments were removed and sold during World War II, although remnants remain in several Lambach incunables. Leaves of the Gottschalk Antiphonal have been identified in several collections: The Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript at Yale University (seventeen leaves); the Houghton Library at Harvard University (two leaves); the St. Louis Public Library in St. Louis, Missouri (one leaf); the abbey of St.-Paul-I'm-Lavanttal (Austria) (two leaves). Four leaves known to have been at Lambach in the early 1990s are untraced, as is the leaf formerly hanging on the wall of a hotel in Badgastein, Austria. These missing leaves are included in this reconstruction in black-and-white, the only extant images of the leaves.