Five leaves from a manuscript, once part of the royal library of France, known as the Chester Beatty Book of Hours, after the owner who dismembered it. Acquired by Harold K. Hochschild in 1931, and in 1979 gifted to Princeton University Museum of Art.
Decoration: Text framed by exquisite border decoration: enclosed on three sides by burnished gold staffs sprouting scrolling ivy vine scrolls around the margins, the leaves coloured gold, red and blue. Decorated initials alternating red and blue on burnished gold grounds, with matching line fillers.(R. Faunce)
Download this page
Princeton, NJ, Princeton University Art Museum, y1979-39, y1979-40, y1979-41, y1979-42, y1979-43, Princeton y1979-39r – Book of Hours (Use of Rome) — https://fragmentarium.ms/view/page/F-4cvk/2317/26802/0