The 'Meyrick Page'
Square musical notation on a 4-line stave. As is characteristic, the syllables of the lyrics are widely stretched over the musical notation. Viewed in isolation the syallables are virtually unintelligble.
Foliation in roman numerals (lxxxiiii), in red ink.
The number 1413 is written in black ink at the end of the last 4-line stave (verso). It appears to be a later hand. The significance of this number remains a mystery at this time.
The leaf is tension mounted.
Book Decoration and Musical Notation
Decoration includes ten large cadel flourished initials in red, blue and brown, with extended pen trailing on the response Iustum deduxit dominus per uias rectas, and anthropomorphic detail to the capital of the verse Letamini in domino et exulte iusti et gloriamini.
- Text Language Latin
- Title Transcription of the text - Antiphons and responsorial chants for the Feast Common of one Martyr.
lxxxiiii. . . [Letabitur iustus in domino et] sperabit in eo et laudabuntur. Om nes recti corde alleluia alle luia. Uersus. Letamini in domi no et exultate iusti et gloriamini. Omnes. Responsorium Beatus uir qui metuit dominum alleluia. In mandatis e ius cupit nimis alleluia alle luia alleluia. Uersus. Potens in terra erit semen eius generacio rectorum[verso]benedicetur. In. Ad laudes. Ego sum uia. Alleluia alleluia alleluia alleluia alleluia alleluia. Psalmus. Dominus regna. Euouae. Responsorium Magna est gloria eius in salutari tuo alleluia alleluia. Uersus. Gloriam et magnum decorem impones super eum alleluia alleluia. Uersus. Posuisti domine. Responsorium Iustum deduxit dominus per uias rectas allelu ia alleluia. Uersus. Et ostendit illi regnum Dei. alleluia alleluia. Ad benedictum antiphona. Alleluia ego suum . . .
Provenance is sketchy. The leaf was gifted to the Australian National University Library in 1984 by two sisters June Carnahan and Dawn Power (née Meyrick). It is named the 'Meyrick Page' in honour of the donors.
Dawn Power obtained an appraisal (dated 21 April 1983) of the leaf from Dennis E. Rhodes, Deputy Keeper Department of Printed Books, The British Library. He stated that the leaf was from a fifteenth-century antiphoner, and that it "was written in Germany or the Low Countries".
Prior to this it was owned by Ernst von Feder (1824-1904), Karlsruhe. His collector's mark 'v. Feder' is imprinted in black on the recto, 4 x 12 mm (Lugt 923).
Memorandum (dated 21 August 1984) from University Librarian Colin Steele records that the leaf was donated by Mrs June Carnahan.
Frits Lugt, Les Marques de Collections de Dessins & d’Estampes (Fondation Custodia), 923.http://www.marquesdecollections.fr/detail.cfm/marque/6839/total/1
Australian National University Archives: Information Management – Donations – Friends of the Library (Rare Books) in ANUA 53/449, 84-86.