Raimundus de Pennaforti, Summa de casibus poenitentiae
With annotations by Guillaume de Rennes
Adelaide, Flinders University Central Library, St Barnabas Collection f 281.4 G823d
Matthew Firth, Flinders University, 2019 (Not Printed)
Title: Raimundus de Pennaforti, Summa de casibus poenitentiae
Shelfmarks: St Barnabas Collection f 281.4 G823d, upper and lower pastedowns
Place of Origin: Upper Rhine
Date of Origin: 1276-1325
Tidy gothic script - textualis semi-quadrata - both sheets appear to be the work of a single scribe
Page Height: 300 – 340 mm
Page Width: 220 mm
Height of Written Area: 260 – 300 mm
Width of Written Area: 158 mm
Number of Columns: 1
Width of Columns: 70 – 158 mm
Number of Lines: 37 – 45
Line Height: 5 mm
Ruling: Light ruling for text blocks (both main and glosses), as well as light line ruling. Pricking not detectable.
More about the Condition:
Measurements are given for single page-sides. There are two bifolia in the host and, therefore, eight page-sides, with four visible (representing the dorse side of the second- and third-innermost bifolia of the intact manuscript gathering). Only two visible pages are intact to their full width and these have been used for the measurements.
The variation in width of text columns reflects the presence of extensive glosses as part of the manuscript layout. The front endpaper contains large sections of main text with single small columns of gloss text offset to the right of the page. The rear endpaper contains narrow central columns of main text surrounded by gloss blocks. Both main text and gloss have been ruled separately.
Two coloured inks are used throughout (red and blue), and some corrections, presumably contemporary with the text's composition, are identifiable.
Dimensions: 242 x 390 (upper board) 246 x 398 (lower board)
More about the Current Condition:
Both endpapers have been trimmed to size, resulting in the loss of written material at the top of the sheets and on the left of the visible versa folia. The sheets are thin enough to identify writing on the non-visible side. There are some holes through the parchment, mainly within the margins, resulting from the fitting of non-extant clasps and decorations to the exterior of the boards.
The front endpaper shows some signs of repair with a sheet of paper glued between it and the board, it also shows signs of damage to the edge of the parchment. This sheet has two modern library shelfmarks, one written in the middle, another on a white adhesive sticker in one corner (both no doubt relating to the host volume).
The rear endpaper is the better preserved and, as a result of the failing glue in one corner, the presence of text on the reverse side can be confirmed.
Blue and red underlining, paragraph markings and sigla (corresponding with gloss) throughout
- Persons: Raimundus de Pennaforti
- Text Language: Latin
- Title: Summa de casibus poenitentiae
Text of Raymond of Penafort's Summa casuum as preserved in these fragments corresponds with the modern edition of the text (noted below) as follows:
- Front endpaper, verso (left): Liber II, tit. 5.22 From col. 494, line 9, to col. 495, line 8
- Front endpaper, recto (right): Liber II, tit. 5.5-7 From col. 468, line 24 to col. 470, line 21
- Rear endpaper, verso (left): Liber II, tit. 5.19 From col. 489, line 22, to col. 490, line 10
- Rear endpaper, recto (right): Liber II, tit. 5.9 From col. 474, line 7, to col. 475, line 9
- Edition: S. Raimundus de Pennaforte, Tomus B: Summa de paenitentia, ed. Xaverio Ochoa et Aloisio Diez (Rome: Commentarium pro religiosis, 1976)
Scribal features suggest 'Upper Rhine' composition. Likely passed into Parisian ownership granted the legal nature of the text, the presence of the Parisian school of canon law, and the intact codex's last presumed location in a Paris bindery.
The codex containing the now-fragments was presumably acquired by a Parisian bindery and dismantled for recycling around 1533.
The ownership of the host volume between 1533 and the nineteenth century is unknown.
Acquired by Thomas Vowler Short (1790-1872), the Bishop of Sodor and Man, the host volume was given to his brother Augustus Short (1802-1883), who in 1847 became the first Church of England Bishop for the Adelaide Diocese. The volume was held by the Church of England Theological and Ecclesiastical Library before passing to the ownership of St Barnabas College in 1881, and finally into the hands of Flinders University Library Special Collections in 1986.
Title: Diui Gregorii Papae, huius nominis primi, cognomento magni, omnia quae extant operae (etc.)
Date of Origin/Publication: 1533
Place of Origin/Publication: Parisiis, apud Claudium Chevallonium.
Shelfmark: St Barnabas Collection f 281.4 G823d
Conditions of Deposit: Currently stored under archival conditions in the Special Collections Library at Flinders University.
The volume extends to around 500 pages and appears to have its orginal binding; however use, time, and the size of the book have effected its integrity and both upper and lower boards are now detached from the spine.